Established in 1995, Brock Hughes Free Clinic was formed by nurses from Wythe County Community Hospital to meet the healthcare needs of the uninsured, low-income residents of Wythe and Bland Counties. The clinic was named in honor of the late Dr. C. Brock Hughes who was a long-time pediatrician and a much-admired member of the medical community in Wythe County.
Originally under the umbrella of HOPE, Helping Overcome Poverty’s Existence, Inc., Brock Hughes Free Clinic became its own independent, tax exempt, 501(c)(3) entity in 2004 to focus solely on the healthcare needs of its target population.
Brock Hughes Clinic provides high quality, primary health care services to people of all ages and income levels. In addition, referral arrangements with Counts Drug, Wythe County Community Hospital, and multiple specialty providers allow our patients to receive radiology services, laboratory testing, and other medical and pharmaceutical services that might otherwise be unavailable to them.
- Originally housed at the Wythe County Health Department, the clinic operated one night per week with volunteer staff from Wythe County Community Hospital. In 1996, a grant was awarded to the clinic which enabled a part-time Executive Director to be hired to oversee the daily operations. The clinic operated at this site with no overhead costs;
- After an offer for a larger space, the clinic relocated to Edgemont Center in 1997. It operated with a part-time Executive Director and volunteer physicians until 1999 when the clinic was awarded a grant that added a part-time Nurse Practitioner and a receptionist to the staff;
- In 2010, the clinic received a 90-day notice to vacate Edgemont Center and BHFC relocated to 105 W. Pine St. After years of operating with minor overhead costs, the clinic’s expenses increased dramatically due to the $1,500 monthly rental fee and utility charges at this location;
- In December 2014, Brock Hughes Free Clinic moved to its new location at 450 W. Monroe Street. Grants were written for the $225,000 renovation expenses and the total building project was valued at $600,000. This new location was made possible by the Wythe-Bland Foundation.
- The clinic has been doing business as Brock Hughes Medical Center since early 2015.
BROCK HUGHES LEADERSHIP TEAM & SUPPORT STAFF
|Staff||Board of Directors|
|Stacey Linkous, M.S.|
|Shan Fairbanks, D.O.|
|Mandy Arnold, FNP-C|
|Cassidy Hensley, FNP-C|
Nurse Practitioner (PRN)
|Brittney Anderson, LPN|
|Sandra Clarke, PharmD|
|Denise Dunford, CPhT|
Medication Assistance Caseworker